[sldev] AWG - Scope (Future SL Architecture versus Multiworld Interoperability)

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 04:08:35 PDT 2007

Matthew Dowd wrote:
> Originally, I thought the AWG was attempting to develop a new architecture for SL focused on better scalability and opening up the possibility of people running their own SL sims.

It is.  When Zha talks about interoperability, he's speaking of
alternate implementations of the SL protocol inherently.

Other virtual worlds... unless they want to completely start over using
the protocols we make, they are irrelevant.

The *only* product we are making here is a standardized *protocol*.
What we are designing is to virtual worlds as HTTP is to the Web.

The implementations (such as virtualization) *are* irrelevant.

-Jason