[sldev] AWG - Scope (Future SL Architecture versus Multiworld Interoperability)

Zha Ewry zha.ewry at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 11:05:58 PDT 2007

I don't think that anything which examines a place where we may want to
expose an interface is out of scope. While I think the major thrust of the
work is going to be defining what happens between components, we can't fully
bound those boxes, without looking at the various ways the parts inside
could reasonably be placed in various implementations. Just as Linden is
pulling out a bunch of function from the monolithic simulators today, we may
pull more function out later, if we can show how to compose reasonable
systems out of further splits.

I have posted some serious musing about the *core* functions of a region
simulator. They hang off my personal page at the moment:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Zha_Ewry

Notice that scripting isn't in core functions. What one might have to do to
expose the right information to allow scripting to be offloaded. That's a
fine topic for discussion.

Notice, also, that unless virtualization, or clustering exposed things that
other components in the system would have to deal with, that's probably
beyond what we need to look at. There are a lot of very good techniques for
scaling a web hosted service (or cluster of services, which is probably the
right way to think  of region simulators) The web model fairly strongly
asserts that we only care about these details when the escape the
abstraction, and have to be accounted for. In general, clustering,  load
balancing, virtualization, should happen in ways which make them opaque to
our discussion. When they don't, we need to understand why, and account for
that.

- Zha