[sldev] AWG: Geometric Content Creation

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sun Oct 28 15:05:19 PDT 2007

Mark Burhop wrote:

>     > For the concrete people, "Collada"
>     > < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COLLADA> anyone?
>     I think the major issue that immediately comes to mind with AMOs
>     (Arbitrary Mesh Objects for those of you keeping score at home) is
>     bandwidth. Prims are exceptionally lean on bandwidth. Mesh models
>     tend
>     to be heavy.
>
> Yes- being able to stream geometry across the wire with as few bytes
> as possible is really important. I like the compactness of the current
> prims.
>
> So while I think meshes are often the only practical option for some
> things,  I do think a future architecture could do a lot more with
> "analytics" that it does now.
>
> Consider a simple box with an arbitrary cylindrical hole in it.
> Comunicating that takes very few bytes.  Creating one today in SL
> today is hard (except for a few special cases).

Various folks have talked about geometric geometry.  The ability to do
boolean combinations on prims would go a long way to addressing these
issues. The REAL issue is the very long term, where Intel's call for
raytracing to replace more traditional 3D rendering comes into play.
Standard prims, I iunderstand, are almost a freebie for raytracing. More
complicated messhes muddy the waters. How complex do we want things to
get, knowing that graphics issues will change drastically by the time
the world-wide-grid could become a reality?

Lawson