[sldev] AWG: Geometric Content Creation

Mark Burhop mark.burhop at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 08:30:16 PDT 2007

> > For the concrete people, "Collada"
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COLLADA> anyone?
> I think the major issue that immediately comes to mind with AMOs
> (Arbitrary Mesh Objects for those of you keeping score at home) is
> bandwidth. Prims are exceptionally lean on bandwidth. Mesh models tend
> to be heavy.
>
> Yes- being able to stream geometry across the wire with as few bytes as
possible is really important. I like the compactness of the current prims.

So while I think meshes are often the only practical option for some
things,  I do think a future architecture could do a lot more with
"analytics" that it does now.

Consider a simple box with an arbitrary cylindrical hole in it. Comunicating
that takes very few bytes.  Creating one today in SL today is hard (except
for a few special cases).