[sldev] NSV Support

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Tue Sep 4 08:24:56 PDT 2007

Ernie Kabowski wrote:
>> gstreamer is available on windows as well.... I'd think getting rid of
>> the quicktime reliance would be a good direction to go.
>>

>>> If gstreamer can seamlessly wrap itself around DirectShow/Windows Media
>>> on Win32, and Quicktime on OSX, this just might be wonderful.
>>>

>>> The problem is, media codecs are a patent licensing minefield. By using
>>> Quicktime and/or DirectShow, you push the responsibility and liability
>>> for proper licensing onto Microsoft and Apple, who have already taken
>>> care of it, and conveniently placed codecs for MP3 and MPEG4 and whatnot
>>> on everyone's systems for you.
>>>

> The Apple media playback API has little to no streaming capabilitys in it's
> own format. Plugins are cool if you want to constantly remind people to
> install them, and provide support and documentation for all. Most players are
> NT users or Desktop Linux system users.

??? QT on the Web predates most other formats for web streaming of audio
and video and the current server versions seem quite feature-laden,
though I'm not familiar with Real Player's or Microsoft's or the NSV
equivalents, so I can't make comparisons:

http://images.apple.com/server/docs/QuickTime_Streaming_TB_v10.4.pdf

Perhaps you're thinking that the client QT player is all that is
available as far as providing server functions for QuickTime?