[sldev] framework documentation pattern

Ryan Williams (Which) rdw at lindenlab.com
Tue Sep 4 16:03:03 PDT 2007

John Hurliman wrote:
> I'm not sure that sounds right at all. Serializing and deserializing
> data to blobs of LLSD/XML/whatever when making calls from class to class
> is not going to make things more interoperable then just passing
> arguments, you are just spending a lot of CPU cycles (an incredible
> amount considering it would be done on ever cross-class call) to mangle
> and unmangle data. And compatibility will still break and need to be
> documented when something changes, LLSD doesn't address that problem at
> all.

The LLSD class is not necessarily serialized.  In memory it is just a
convenient dynamically-typed container.  Passing an LLSD object as an
argument wouldn't incur any overhead above passing a std::list or whatever.

It is confusing that we have LLSD, the serialization format, and LLSD,
the C++ classes, which are closely related (i.e. only LLSD instances can
be serialized), but not the same.

-RYaN