[sldev] RE: NSV Support

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Wed Sep 5 18:35:42 PDT 2007

Ernie Kabowski wrote:
> This will be my last entry on NSV support as its support status
> seems to be: play it if you got it.
>
> Using softwares age to excuse it's lacking in comparison is bad
> practice. I could say EasyWriter is better than Open Office by
> two decades.
>
> What's real is the QuickTime player that integrates on the majority
> of platforms doesn't have default NSV support. It takes a plugin.
>
> Also another thing that can be ignored in retorts, but not in
> usability is that fact it takes 2 plus minutes to buffer for
> playback on apple video on a 1.5Mbps(1.04Mbps) downstream from
> a commercial 8Mbps upstream dedicated server under little load.
>
> You can only ignore reality, but it's still there when denial
> isn't.
>
> I'm not going against Apple ether, so drones need not worry.

That's sounds like a server issue or even how the movie was prepped for
streaming, though I can't speak to the specific interactions of the QT
plugin in Second Life.

This 720P (1280x720)  222.3 MB clip takes only a few seconds to buffer
on my Mac using Safari, for instance.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/worldcafelive.html

Here's some non-Apple-hosted QT movies. They all seem snappy in playback
on my Mac:

http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/movies.html