[sldev] RE: NSV Support

Andre Roche roamingryozu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 06:58:48 PDT 2007

My two cents on the issue:  Adding NSV support would probably be fine, as
long as all you have to say to the end user is "Please install Winamp to
play streaming video on these parcels."  If you get any more technical than
that, it won't fly.  I'd love NSV support as it's a lot easier to deal with,
and live streaming is free, as opposed to many quicktime streaming
solutions.  It's just also useless to the masses if it's not simply
integrated into the client, or relies only on having installed a common
program such as winamp.  Asking to install codecs or plugins is not
something I see the average SL resident following through on.

As far as QuickTime .MOV files and buffering times go, that's almost
entirely how the file is encoded.  You have to remember .mov is a container
format.  In many cases, the file must be encoded with particular codecs, as
well as have to the for streaming bit set in the container before it will
play without needing long buffer times.