[sldev][POLICY]Weekly Meetings

Jesse Barnett jessesa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 16:14:34 PDT 2007

Apologies if this should have been in Meta instead.

I am over the purchasing department of a small firm and use a high end
program for pulling BOM's off of ACAD
files/tracking/multing/purchasing/shipping. Although I only work 40 hours
per week, to get everything done in the alloted time I count my time in
man-minutes, not man-hours. The difference between placing an order for
steel and keeping the shop fed with work or not sometimes boils down to 5-10
minutes.

I have been away from the community for several months and for the first
time I read the log from the weekly sldev meeting. I am sorry but I was
shocked. Is it always like this? This must be incredibly frustrating for the
3 Lindens in attendance to waste 3 hours in such a fashion. 3 man hours,
nearly 1/10 of a full week gone. Such a simple item on the agenda; what tags
to use? Rob did a good job in trying to keep the meeting on track and on
target but didn't succeed.

Has the weekly meeting become a waste of time? Is there a more efficient way
of acheiving the same goals. With the advent of Tags, couldn't the same
thing be accomplished here in the mailing list now? The vast majority of the
mailing list members will never be able to attend the weekly meeting due to
conflicts with our work schedules anyway.

Jesse aka Jesse Barnett