[sldev] Exciting reuter's post about OpenSim - project to create open source version of SL Servers

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Sep 7 22:00:53 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 03:59 +0200, Laurent Laborde wrote:
> If you read the reuter's article without I.T knowledge you just read :
> "OpenSim did better in 2 months than Linden Lab in many year". And i
> just can't accept that, it's just wrong.

Yes, the article is typical shallow sensationalist journalism that
freely insinuates whatever happens to be... sensational.

But this does provide an excuse to say something I was going to say at
this week's meeting, but I *ahem* cut myself off realizing I was getting
rather off the topic of the bug we were supposed to be discussing:

(As my email address shows, I'm Seg btw)

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Open_Source_Meeting/2007-09-06

One of the major things preventing a full-blown fork of Second Life is
our dependence on the Linden grid. Once a viable alternative comes
about, either through a ground up re-engineering, or LL releasing its
source, (it appears both are on the way) that reason will be gone.

With the way Rob (I don't want to pick solely on him but he's the one I
see most) seems to want to "manage" the community, sometimes I think the
grid dependence is the only thing stopping a fork from happening
already.

And the messages turning up even as I sit here writing this are only
confirming it.

https://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/sldev/2007-September/004492.html
https://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/sldev/2007-September/004498.html

I'd rather a fork didn't happen, and I think I just realized why. Red
Hat has already managed to take a formerly closed commercial development
project (Red Hat Linux) and spin it off into an (IMHO) successful
community project (Fedora). Though the reality is, the initial spinoff
was a complete disaster, (See the infamous EAT YOUR BRAAAANE post:
http://lwn.net/Articles/83360/) and it was only turned around through
years of determined work by key individuals within Red Hat, and full
community involvement only achieved with the release of Fedora 7.

I'd hate to see Linden Labs blunder on, not learn from Red Hat's
mistakes and quite possibly get itself killed in the process.

But I'm really not seeing any Warren Togamis or Max Spevacks within
Linden Lab.