[sldev] Exciting reuter's post about OpenSim - project to create open source version of SL Servers

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Sat Sep 8 03:18:20 PDT 2007

Laurent Laborde wrote:
> On 9/8/07, Nicholaz Beresford <nicholaz at blueflash.cc> wrote:
>
>> Laurent Laborde wrote:
>>
>>> So where do you store the inventory if not on a specialized asset
>>> server (which is a cluster anyway) ?
>>>
>>> On sim server ? aren't they already overloaded ?
>>>
>> On the client.  I'm amazed that for an Open Source project like
>> OpenSim everybody still thinks the assets need protection.  If it
>> were me, I'd start that thing with client side full perm inventory.
>>

> And when you logout ?

When you log out then there is no need for your inventory to be
connected to the grid any more, since the only person who has access to
your inventory is yourself. Things like offline inventory offers would
probably go away though, unless one of the sims temporarily stored the
assets that are supposed to be transferred and got ahold of you the next
time you logged in to that sim. That has some messy edge cases though.

> And even if i don't logout... how do i stream content of my 20 sims
> with my 128/2048 ADSL line to 150 concurent user ?

Prims that are in a simulator (ie, have LocalIDs) are not the same as
prims on the asset server which is not the same as items in your
inventory that link to prims on the asset server. No one is suggesting
that you host 20 simulators on your ADSL line, or constantly stream
large amounts of data from your local inventory to multiple people.
> Content have to be stored somewhere else than the client.
> On sim (with the problems said earlier) or on dedicated asset servers.

Not true at all, there are many different ways you could implement a
distributed grid architecture that involved storing inventory on the
client. To achieve most of them would require throwing out the idea of
protected assets and the notion of selling prims to other avatars, so it
might not be a path that Linden Labs is interested in pursuing but they
are still workable ideas for an open grid.

I have some more specific thoughts on how better decentralization and
scalability could be achieved but I'll save them for next Thursday.

John Hurliman