[sldev] Re: [VIEWER] SVG on a prim

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 11:13:06 PDT 2007

From: "Harold Brown" <labrat.hb at gmail.com>
> John was talking about implementing something now... without
> dealing with
> having server side changes made by LL's to support it.

> What you're discussing will need commitment by LL's to implement.

The client can read a notecard. SVG is text and can be put in a
notecard without any special handling... 'uploading' SVG would just
be a shortcut for creating a new text notecard (something that would
be useful anyway). A special UUID can be designated as "this UUID
means look for a notecard called 'face$facenum.svg' in the prim".
Another can be "this UUID means look at the description on this prim
and interpret it as SVG". References in the SVG would be to notecards
in the same prim. You don't need to play silly games with asset
uploads to make this work.

The trickiest thing I could see being reasonable to do might be to
have the UUID on the face being the UUID of a notecard or prim, if
the sim will let you get away with that. And even that seems a bit
dodgy to me.

Anyway, I would rather have something based on interfaces like this
that almost certainly won't break than ones that can.

PS: I agree with Alissa. I would rather not see HTML on a prim except
as something like a new parcel media texture type. HTML is too
expensive to render.