[sldev] [ARCH] Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 14:11:50 PDT 2007

Mike Monkowski wrote:
> Jason Giglio wrote:
>> Mike Monkowski wrote:
>>  > If you know the reasons, it would be good to list them, because I
>> think
>>  > this is one of the limitations that should be eliminated.
>>
>> Sure.  Scene polygon count, script load, physics load, and network load.
>
> For the scene polygon count, I assume you mean the added polygons for
> the avatars.  This could be handled with lower LOD for more distant
> avatars.

Yep, to an extent.

> Script load and physics load (except for collision detection) shouldn't
> depend on the number of avatars, just the number of objects.

Except for collision detection!?

Agents wear a load of scripts, usually much more than there are scripts
in fixed objects in a sim.  I've seen agents taking up 5+ms of script time.

> By network load do you mean sim-to-sim or viewer-to-sim?  If the latter,
> then it would mean in the new architecture we shouldn't have
> communication directly with the Region Hosts if we want to allow more
> avatars per sim.  Yes?

sim-to-viewer mainly.  And it's things like objectupdates that really
the sim needs to handle.  If you offload it you just move the load to
the interdomain link, bogging it down.

There's no silver bullet here to get more agents on a sim.

-Jason