[sldev] [ATTN-LL] Physics engine status update?

Dirk Moerenhout blakar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 10:22:41 PDT 2007

On 9/20/07, Argent Stonecutter <secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:
> From: "Dirk Moerenhout" <blakar at gmail.com>
> > Meshes are solely a way to represent the objects graphically. This is
> > exactly why sculpted prims have dodgy physics. There's no way to
> > represent it mathematically so the physical object is not at all alike
> > the visible object.
>
> Sculpted prims have dodgy physics because the sim is not using the
> sculpt texture to calculate their shape yet. Whether the mesh is hard
> to simulate or not isn't relevant... the mesh isn't actually being
> used at all by the sim. From comments Qarl has made they are
> intending to use the actual mesh at some point, but right now all
> sculpted prims are treated as spheres by the sim.

You have rather strange logic and I guess you didn't get what I was
implying. I know it's a sphere so let me put it this way:
They are using a sphere to represent it because it's too complicated
to simulate the mesh.

If you truly believe the mesh complexity does not matter then I'd
really want to know what you consider the reason to opt for a sphere.

As for using the detailed mesh I wouldn't take bets on it if I were
you. You can use it if you downsample it but that it'll remain a rough
representation. Best bet is to calculate Bezier curves that match the
shape best. But still the most important part is: you need a
mathematical representation, not a triangulated result.

Dirk aka Blakar Ogre