[sldev] Re: [ARCH] Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's

dirk husemann hud at zurich.ibm.com
Mon Sep 24 04:27:58 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> On 18-Sep-2007, at 12:22, Ryan Williams (Which) wrote:
>> Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>>> From: "Tao Takashi" <tao.takashi at googlemail.com>
>
>>> The region doesn't simulate an avatar. All it does is deliver the
>>> textures and appearance parameters to the client. The avatar mesh is
>>> in the client.
>
>> It also calculates the collisions between avatars and the rest of the
>> world, and runs the scripts in attachments, and makes the decision of
>> when to deliver the representation to other agents, which is a
>> non-trivial calculation.  Maybe you meant something else, but the
>> simulator definitely does more than just act as a bit pipe for avatars.
>
> What I mean is that as far as the sim is concerned, the avatar is a
> box. Apart from the overall size, the avatar shape takes no part in
> the physical simulation of the avatar, and the sim doesn't take the
> mesh and other visual characteristics of the actual avatar into
> account when dealing with it. Even scripted attachments don't involve
> the sim having to know anything about the mesh or avatar settings...
> all attachments are considered to be in the same place as far as the
> sim goes. I don't know if that place is the exact center of the
> bounding box, but it's not far off it, and the actual prims in the
> attachments are all phantom and don't interact in collisions either.
the question is: do we want to keep it that way or do we want to open up
the possibility of taking the actual shape into account when calculating
collisions? the later doesn't prevent us from having a region server
that just uses the center point of the avatar...

    cheers,
    dirk

--
dr dirk husemann, pervasive computing, ibm zurich research lab
--- hud at zurich.ibm.com --- +41 44 724 8573 --- SL: dr scofield