[sldev] Re: [META/LEGAL] Permissions

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 14:50:21 PDT 2007

From: Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com>
> Well, the real issue with DRM systems is, should the will of the
> author
> be allowed to usurp the legal rights of the purchaser?

According to the LL TOS, the creator of an object owns the
intellectual property, and Linden Labs owns the actual content, so
this doesn't come up.

In fact, right now, the will of the author can even usurp the rights
model that LL originally spelled out. It should not be *possible* to
make an object that is both no-copy and no-transfer, and originally
that wasn't possible. Since it now is, if someone has accidentally
created one they should not be able to transfer it until they correct
that. Yes, this means doing a (fairly simple) analysis of the
permissions on the object's content when it's transferred.

> Should Apple be able to dictate what software and hardware I can
> use to
> play the songs I "purchased" on iTunes?

They don't. They put up a token defense to mollify the labels and
then tell you how you can remove the DRM by backing your music up to
audio CDs.

> Should Sony be allowed to rootkit any machine I wish to use to play
> their CDs?

Nope.

> When I purchase an avatar on Second Life, should the avatar creator be
> able to tell me what grids and what sims I can use their avatar on?

You purchase the right to use that content in Second Life. You don't
purchase the right to take the content out of SL.

> If the answers here are "Yes", then IMHO you really haven't bought
> anything.

You've bought an indefinite license to use that content inside SL via
the account that you purchased it through. That's all.

I would much prefer to have bought more than that, I'd love to have
bought an actual copy of the content that I could download, upload,
measure, tape, splice, remix, and ship to Patagonia, and yes it
bothers me that I can't buy more than that, but that's how things
work in Second Life. They have to, if LL isn't going to be liable for
millions of dollars in losses if they shut the grid down.

And maybe the TOS shouldn't be able to say what they do, though I
suspect that would mean there wouldn't be a Second Life if they did.

But that's what they say, and that's all you bought, so arguing about
what your legal rights to the property that Linden Labs owns are is a
waste of time.