[sldev] Permissions

SL - Farallon Greyskin sl at phoca.com
Mon Sep 24 15:02:12 PDT 2007

The short answer to your questions is "yes".

SL has a very diverse and open market, and no where is anyone forced to use
a certain vendors products if they are too restrictive. People here are free
to vote with their $ more than anywhere else. As long as the terms of use
are spelled out before the sale and not lied about (though I have run into
that in SL) then there is no problem.

And example almost no one would argue against: Applying the GPL  restricts
certain users "rights" in favor of the creator's wishes. And the
restrictions are pretty onerous depending on the user's desires. NO ONE
would dare say that it was the user's right to not comply with the GPL
restrictions should trump the author's wishes in applying it. If you don't
want to comply with the GPLs restrictions on user's freedoms then write it
yourself or go elsewhere. Same with SL products. Don't like the terms, make
it yourself or go elsewhere. Any vendor that loses sales to another will
change their tune.

I cringe at the state of the entitlement that a huge segment of the
population seem to feel themselves in these days. If I want to release
something with completely free perms, BSDed, GPLed or reasonably locked down
for commercial gain that is my right as the creator, *I* created it, don't
like it? Make it yourself or buy it from someone else. The only rights the
consumer has is the right to not buy from me, and maybe complain to me about
it. (Assuming I'm not lying in my advertisement or anything else shady or
illegal of course)

The only case where that would not apply is in monopolistic cartels such as
the music industry, grocery chains or oil companies (Of which you named a
few as examples). If they own 99% of all available product under one roof
and there is no reasonable alternative then they must have a leash put on
that protects basic rights such as not being forced to pay 100$ for a carton
of milk. However, this is NOT the case in SL at all.

A real SL example: A certain vendor of a pose stand that was basically free
suddenly decided to start charging an arm and a leg for it. So I made my own
pose stand and am selling it for cheap and giving it away for free to all my
friends. See? The system works! Some creator gets too greedy or onerous (as
is their right), there are 100 more ready to take their place. No need to go
all trust buster on the fledgling SL creator community just yet :(

Farallon