[sldev] Re: Re: Permissions (dirk husemann)

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Mon Sep 24 19:54:07 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>> i think that the whole permissions systems is an "honor" system at best.
>
> Sure. So's the DRM in iTunes. But in both cases they're an honor
> system that works, because people accept the necessity. I could go
> into a long dissertation as to why "honor system DRM" is adequate,
> sufficient, and all you can get in any case. But "it works" should be
> all you need really.

The comparison to iTunes is a red herring. Do you honestly think that
the iTunes store would be successful if there was an easy to use way of
downloading any song you wanted for free? The DRM workarounds for iTunes
let you remove restrictions from content you already own, which is a far
cry from walking around Second Life saving copies of any object,
texture, sound, animation, particle script, etc. that you can see (all
of which are possible right now and will always be easily possible in
the future).

John Hurliman