[sldev] Havok4 Public Beta is here!

Jesse Barnett jessesa at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 04:57:55 PDT 2007

I was on Bug Island last night and saw total ms averaging around 100 ms with
one peak of 1,038!!!! The same response on our part; "WOW I can't believe
the sim didn't go down!" But there do seem to be some server side safeties
built in now. Created a cube of 6x6x6 overlapping blocks and turned them
physical. Only half exploded as expected and about a 1/4 turned into
"floaters" that although still only had physical checked, acted as though
they were phantom. You could walk through them and they never would fall.
Bumping the remaining blocks in the heap would barely nudge them until you
selected all in edit and then turned off edit, then they would act as
expected again. Also had a 5 meter physical ball set with neutral bouyancy,
a small amount of targetOmega and force acting on it. When we hit the 100 ms
range it would stop moving and rotating and you couldn't even nudge it. But
then again IM's and everything else were still working. All in all it isn't
really as bad as I expected it to be and will only get better. Can't imagine
the horrid condition it was in in alpha.

As far as repeatedly reporting anything as a bug; Please do, again and again
and again. The more clearly reproduceable bug reports the easier it is for
the QA team to find the problems. It took 3 or more weeks to get Havoc 4
from Alpha to Beta stage in Aditi and I would expect at least twice as long
to work out the majority of bugs. The more bug reports, the better.