[sldev] why can an avatar get stuck (unable to log back in and not getting logged out)?

Carsten Juttner carjay at gmx.net
Thu Apr 3 17:58:55 PDT 2008

SimArgent Stonecutter wrote:
> This is a regular workaround I use when I am "hung" and unable to log
> in. Log in as an alt, send an IM, and try again, and it works. I've
> only had one time that sending an IM failed, and on that case it
> *didn't* show me as offline... every time it's shown me as offline,
> that's completed the logout.

As I already mentioned in the original mail that didn't work in my case.
I appeared offline to the friend instantly after the IM was sent, but on
relog I again appeared as online in that person's friend list (and
in-world) and I was still unable to log back in.

I don't know what fixed it finally but I was able to relog this evening.
I think maybe the sim was restarted but I am not sure. I closed the
support ticket which was not processed yet so there probably was no
Linden involvement.

I wonder where the presence data is stored, probably globally on one
central server and it is then updated by each sim I connect to?

But in that case a crashed sim would also cause everyone on it to be
unable to relog at least unless that sim restarted (at which point it
would sync with the global server). But then again I have witnessed sims
not coming right back for several minutes while I was able to relog.

So I assume that the sim kept telling the central presence server that
the avatar is still online and connected to it (which fits since I was
also visible to everybody in that sim).

In this case it is only strange that the IM subsystem obviously assumes
right away that the avatar is offline but the rest of the sim stubbornly
refuses to give up on the avatar. :)

Regards,
Carsten