[sldev] why can an avatar get stuck (unable to log back in and not getting logged out)?

Ryan Williams (Which) rdw at lindenlab.com
Thu Apr 3 18:26:07 PDT 2008

Carsten Juttner wrote:
> SimArgent Stonecutter wrote:
>> This is a regular workaround I use when I am "hung" and unable to log
>> in. Log in as an alt, send an IM, and try again, and it works. I've
>> only had one time that sending an IM failed, and on that case it
>> *didn't* show me as offline... every time it's shown me as offline,
>> that's completed the logout.
>
> As I already mentioned in the original mail that didn't work in my case.
> I appeared offline to the friend instantly after the IM was sent, but on
> relog I again appeared as online in that person's friend list (and
> in-world) and I was still unable to log back in.
>
> I don't know what fixed it finally but I was able to relog this evening.
> I think maybe the sim was restarted but I am not sure. I closed the
> support ticket which was not processed yet so there probably was no
> Linden involvement.
>
> I wonder where the presence data is stored, probably globally on one
> central server and it is then updated by each sim I connect to?
>
> But in that case a crashed sim would also cause everyone on it to be
> unable to relog at least unless that sim restarted (at which point it
> would sync with the global server). But then again I have witnessed sims
> not coming right back for several minutes while I was able to relog.
>
> So I assume that the sim kept telling the central presence server that
> the avatar is still online and connected to it (which fits since I was
> also visible to everybody in that sim).

I believe this is pretty much how it works (not an expert though).

> In this case it is only strange that the IM subsystem obviously assumes
> right away that the avatar is offline but the rest of the sim stubbornly
> refuses to give up on the avatar. :)

I think the sim sets the avatar's presence to a special state indicating
that it's uploading its assets prior to logging off.  Different systems
interpret this state differently (IM treats it as offline, login refuses
login, etc).

-RYaN