[sldev] Plotting Data on SLURL

Yoz Grahame yoz at lindenlab.com
Mon Apr 7 11:20:22 PDT 2008

On Apr 7, 2008, at 6:42 AM, Olli Aro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hope this is the right forum for my question. I did read through the
> descriptions for all lists available and this seemed like to closest
> one for my query…
>
> Anyway, I am interested to plot some additional data on the map
> generated from SLURL and was wondering if anyone knows if this is
> possible and legal without offending the owners of slurl.com?

Hi Olli,

Yes, it's completely fine. Go crazy with it!
There's documentation here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/MapAPI
(thanks to Thraxis Epsilon for that!)

> I had a quick look into this and since it uses Google Maps API it
> seems like it should be quite easy to add additional data on the
> map. The only thing that I could not work out was the initial X and
> Y, but I assume that this is what SLURL application works out at
> server side based on the given slurl? So, my question really is (in
> addition to if it is ok to use the great work done by SLURL people
> like this), how to work out X and Y coordinates based on the SLURL?

There are now JSON web services for getting the X & Y coords for a
given region, and vice versa. If you take a look at the function
SLMap.gotoRegion() (line 750 in slmapapi.js) you'll see code that
calls the former, and gotoSLURL() (line 1368) for the latter.

Good luck, and let me know how you get on!

-- Yoz Linden