[sldev] Re: Dazzle / Windlight merge?

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Apr 9 00:21:29 PDT 2008

> W/r/t optional viewers -- I can say that Linden Lab heard great Resident > feedback recently about the advantages to having 2 supported viewer > versions available whenever possible. Listening to that feedback is > what led to making 1.19.0.5 the minimum version /only after/ 1.19.1 was > released about a week ago.
I think the hearing was a little selective - what was being asked for  was that an previous line of viewer is not obsoleted before the current line has been through enough minor releases to iron out the major issues in the current line and allow the current line to bed down.

Because 1.19.1 adds the whole windlight pipeline (with quite a few fairly serious known bugs) rather than just mop up issues arising with 1.19.0, I wouldn't regard the 1.19 quite cooked enough to drop the 1.18 line. The fuss when LL tried to make 1.19.0 the minimum browser was that 1.19.0 was not stable enough, not that people wanted 2 abitrary versions available. 1.19.1 isn't as stable as the later 1.18 versions, and doesn't per se make 1.19.0 any more stable.

Making 1.19.0 the minimum on the release of 1.19.1 is like Microsoft withdrawing all support for Windows XP (and earlier) on release of Vista Service Pack 1!

Matthew