[sldev] MONO: region request.

Nik Radford nik at terminaldischarge.net
Wed Apr 9 05:43:15 PDT 2008

> Turning off the old code will not necessarily improve performance.

But if you are able to disable LSL2 scripts for a region and stop that
runtime and only have the mono runtime available (so mono compiled scripts
will only work) it gets rid of the problems we currently have with LSL2
(like scripts that are doing nothing still taking a fixed chunk of the
processing time).

I don't see why this is something that couldn't at least be considered.
Something like an option in the region estate tools "Enable LSL2 Runtime
for region" and "Enable Mono Runtime for region" with tick boxes and such.

Though it could be problematic if the systems aren't designed to be loaded
any other time than at simulator boot-up.

Though it doesn't personally bother me, as I own no regions. But I can see
why he'd ask.

> I am totally impressed by how far they've come with Mono, because
> I've been involved in similar projects to replace "old code"
> interpreters in realtime systems with more modern systems, and
> there's all kinds of pitfalls involved in the process... because
> unless an interpreter is designed for realtime it's very very hard to
> get good realtime behavior out of it.

Nik.