[sldev] [AWG] Comments on SLGOGP Draft 1

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 02:33:28 PDT 2008

Ben Francis wrote:

> It seems odd to discuss open standards for the 3D Web without
> mentioning the Web3D Consortium [10] and X3D. Are there
> representatives from Web3D involved in the discussions and how would
> X3D fit into this proposed architecture?
Virtual Worlds like Second Life, don't really have any relationship with
the 3D Web closer than maybe second cousins. Just as you could say that
databases and the Web have many similarities, but are very different
tracks with different audiences, targets and task-specific uses.

Essentially, as I understand it, the AWG and the 3D Web people are
working towards different goals that are often confused with each-other
as they may share many technologies and protocols, and fulfill some of
each-other's targets.