[sldev] sljirastats.com Linden Metrics Report

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Apr 18 14:11:02 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 13:37 -0700, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> On 4/18/08 1:28 PM, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > Second Life isn't just an open source project, it is a commercial open
> > source project with *paying* customers, wherein the vast majority of
> > development is still done by paid employees. The "open source" part is
> > incidental, really.
> >
> > I don't think it's fair to measure LL against an unreasonably low
> > standard like volunteer open source projects...
> >

> What, exactly, do you want to compare us to?

Other commercial projects with paying customers and a full time staff of
in-house developers?

Not really my "scene", so I can't really name any. Of course a lot of
commercial projects may very well be worse than OS projects at bug
closing. But then, as mentioned elsewhere, some see keeping the open bug
count as near zero as possible a matter of pride and their #1 priority.
Though I've also heard this attitude in some open source projects too...
(Some Fedora maintainers are like this, but not all. Of course some
critical components, like the kernel and xorg get such a
disproportionate number of bugs it is simply not humanly possible for a
small team to keep up with them, and ruthless triageing is done, but
still the most serious issues are dealt with promptly...)