[sldev] Linden Lab Navigations and Landmark Project

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 06:18:54 PDT 2008

On 2008-04-19, at 04:05, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> How about we just nuke profiles out of the client and SL protocol
> entirely and push them out onto the web?

Because then nobody can view profiles without potentially revealing
to the person they're viewing that they have viewed the profile and
where on the net they were viewing from. People are already having
problems when they set the "web" tab of a profile to load by default,

The best thing to come out of the recent changes in streaming media
is that you can have streaming media enabled in the client without
automatically connecting to the media source. That eliminates the
streaming media "web bugs" that people were using to automatically
track visitors by IP address.

None of these schemes should even be considered until LL is prepared
to host the kind of proxy infrastructure that makes stalking people
by IP address impossible.