[sldev] IP Address "Privacy". (Was: "Linden Lab Navigations and Landmark Project")

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 21:42:59 PDT 2008

First, Jason, I thought you were talking about the comment that I
made about streaming media, that you quoted in your reply.

Second...

On 2008-04-19, at 19:55, Jason Giglio wrote:
> If someone visits my profile, I have no idea what their SL username
> is,
> unless I say "Hey, Argent go visit my profile" and then you do.  Which
> is EXACTLY THE SAME as me saying "Hey, Argent go visit my web site".

Which I don't normally do, unless I know that person, and which I
have on occasion recommended people not do routinely.

Viewing a profile doesn't seem like an obvious exposure, and yet
there already is one there if you automatically load the web tab...
even if you don't visit the web tab.

There is a slippery slope here, and we've gone pretty far down the
slope already... far enough that people are already getting caught
out. But for the moment you CAN still avoid having the SL client
visit random websites except by explicit request through an operation
that is clearly "visiting a web site".