[sldev] Linden Lab Navigations and Landmark Project

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 19:19:31 PDT 2008

Anna Gulaev wrote:
> *Jason Giglio* wrote:
>
>     Really getting sick of this bullshit.  The world isn't going to stop
>     because you have this false belief that an IP address is private
>     information.
>

> At the moment, in SL, it *is* private information. That it isn't
> private elsewhere (WWW) is not a reasonable argument for making it not
> so in SL.
Umm. No it isn't, necessarily. You see, if you or I were using the same
Web-based service, there'd probably be no way for me to obtain your IP
address...
(If I were *running* that service, that'd be different. You'd be all
over the logs)

In SL though, as long as you've got a webserver handy it is possible to
obtain the IP address of anyone who enters your land or who transfers
anything to you via your profile - under the right conditions.

Privacy's good. There's no way to guarantee, however without eliminating
existing functionality.
I see LL being willing to do that... Oh.... around-about never.

--
Tateru Nino
http://www.massively.com/