Contribution agreements (Re: [sldev] What is the point of firstlook and giving feedback to LL)

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Mon Apr 21 21:57:51 PDT 2008

Richard Stallman's original message probably didn't make it to the sldev
list, since we're automatically bouncing non-member mails now (he's
whitelisted now).  Quoted in entirety below, with my response afterward:

On 4/21/08 9:21 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> [Justin Ryan wrote:]
>     You won't get any contributions from me directly as a
>     member of the F/OSS community to a project where you can take credit
>     for my code, and decide without my permission to use it as part of
>     your business, without compensation.
>
> If I were the author of a change, the crucial question for me would be
> whether my change might be released in a non-free version of the
> program.  The worst outcome would be that some of my code might be
> available to users _only_ in a non-free version.  So I would seek to
> put something in the contract to rule that out.

Our contribution agreement is a joint copyright assignment, so the
original author retains full rights of authorship, and can ensure that
the modifications remain freely available.

Rob