[sldev] Script compiler - was: Re: Refactoring and development economy

Felix Duesenburg kfa at gmx.net
Tue Apr 22 08:18:39 PDT 2008

There are two different things consistently getting mixed up: The LSL
language structure and features that go into the compiled code (whether
compilation happens on client or server side), and the backend
capabilities that a script calls upon. Only the compiled part can be
tweaked by us, in the future that is if after the move we'll be given
the ability to upload CIL. Of the things you stated, only the first 3
(up to try-catch) fall into that category. The dataserver stuff, event
queue serving and its limitations, the llfunction library, etc. are at
the other end and we'll have to beg the Lindens with good reasons to get
something changed there. Bringing in other .NET languages won't change
anything on the backend side by itself. And that thing with the
animations has nothing directly to do with the scripting language
capabilities, it's a problem of how permissions are tied to objects,
which is being discussed in other contexts. The ideas I was tossing out
before solely had to do with making the compiled code more efficient and
getting the most out of a small embedded machine, within the realm that
we are given access to.