[sldev] A forum

Paul Cook warkirby3333 at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 16:58:18 PDT 2008

A new topic.

I find myself wondering why this mailing list exists. It contains a lot of useful information and helpful people, but I mean, why does it exist as a mailing list?

It's not exactly optimal to have to read through discussions you're not interested in, in a linear monolithic manner. It also has the problem of spamming up my inbox, even when in digest mode. And aside from that, we get random ads from microsoft in our mails from hotmail adresses.

Given that the official SL forums are being overhauled, I'd like to suggest that this mailing list would work better as a subforum within the LL forums, perhaps.

The forum/bulletin board structure has a lot of advantages over a single monolithic list like this, making it easy to keep up with particular topics and ignore those one isn't interested in, and not have a crammed full inbox every day.

Does this seem like a good idea?