[sldev] A forum

Soft soft at lindenlab.com
Wed Apr 23 04:39:39 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Paul Cook <warkirby3333 at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>  A new topic.
>
> I find myself wondering why this mailing list exists. It contains a lot of
> useful information and helpful people, but I mean, why does it exist as a
> mailing list?

I've got one mailbox, and I subscribe to 40+ lists - thankfully I can
check all those in one place instead of hitting multiple forums
manually. Using keyboard navigation, I can quickly scan through
messages, with most demanding less than one second's attention. I've
got the ability to mute further traffic on subjects I don't need to
follow. I can easily search for messages on a subject across the many
lists where discussion may happen.

All of the above go away if we switch to a web forum or a newsgroup.
It would be much better to use a threaded mail reader, as others
suggest.