[sldev] Landmarks and Navigation Project Update 2008-04-23

Stephany Filimon stephany at lindenlab.com
Wed Apr 23 20:28:57 PDT 2008

As promised, this week's project update, which consists of:

* Call for participation: Tomorrow's office hour at 3 PM Pacific in Beaumont
* Summary of the past week's activities
* This week's plans

*Call for Participation*
Tomorrow - Thursday, April 24 at 3 PM (Pacific), in Beaumont - we'll
hold our second office hour focused on navigation and landmarks.  We've
received very valuable, creative, and thoughtful feedback from you so
far (some of which Vectorform will share at tomorrow's meeting) and
would love more of it.

*Past Week: We're deep in our research phase.

** Last Wednesday, the project team (see
http://www.vectorform.com/secondlife/ if you haven't met them yet) held
an extended office hour (from 2-4 PM Pacific) to gather feedback on
landmarks and navigation.  The early start time was due to an email
miscommunication on my part, but we did at least obtain two hours worth
of feedback instead of one.

* The project team is currently in the process of reading, culling, and
analyzing the wealth of information gathered so far.  Common themes and
patterns are starting to emerge; we hope to have more detail on this for
you in next week's update.

* We're also assessing the feasibility of many of the specific
suggestions we've received.

* The team is looking at the many existing, resident-created HUDs that
aid navigation in SL, to see which ones might be helpful to this project
and possibly incorporated.

* The project team has read every message added to this thread on
SLDEV.  We've added your email feedback to the office hour and PJIRA
information we've collected, so please be assured that it is in, and
will continue to be added to, the growing user-feedback-and-research pool.

* The project team has also reviewed existing LL internal research on
account abandonment and general "reasons for leaving SL" that are
relevant to this project.

*This Week: More research and wireframes.*
* We'll hold one more office hour for feedback...
* At which Vectorform will share some findings so far and gather more
feedback.
* Residents who have expressed explicit interest in research
participation may be contacted about participating in survey-based or
other research.
Vectorform will begin to create wireframes based on all of the above.