[sldev] SL Database purge

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Apr 28 18:37:52 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 02:21 +0100, Thomas Grimshaw wrote:
> Thomas Grimshaw wrote:
> > This from a friend:
> >
> > "Hi.  Not so great news, I'm afraid. I talked to the project manager
> > on Inventory Management, and was informed that on September 12, 2007,
> > they ran a program that collected unused objects and removed them from
> > the database. "Any older objects which [you] didn't rez between then
> > and early December (during which time they would have been
> > automatically recovered) could be candidates" for the category
> > "missing from database", and unfortunately are not recoverable. (This
> > is true for the 4 I tried to rez from my own inventory, as well -- and
> > no doubt many others.) That will apply anywhere in SL, not just your
> > own regions.  Rowan"
> >
> > How on earth can LL justify this? With no warning or announcement?
> > Don't worry folks, just rez your entire inventory every 2 months and
> > you won't lose anything..

> Just to clarify, this is a response to a support ticket from a linden
> labs representative. Ticket number available on request..

Well it would carry more weight if it was your friend themself were
posting to a mostly off topic mailing list. And even better if we could
see the actual ticket, yes.

I'm missing a crapload of inventory myself. And more seems to disappear
every day. Gestures, especially. All the more reason to implement "Save
As..." in the client. (There, I'm redirecting this towards being on
topic and using it as yet another opportunity to push my own personal
talking points. Muhahaha...)