[sldev] Scalable Sim Question

Steven Hornik shornik at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 12:14:38 PDT 2008

I want to preface that I'm not a developer but lurk on this list to see
what's happening.  I'm sure this isn't the best place to post this
question but thought some here might be able to provide an answer or at
least a pointer in the right direction.

Here is the dilemma:  finite limit to how many avatars can be on one sim.
Solution
(well I don't know if this can be done and that's why I'm asking here):
Mirrored sims, a bit of explanation, please ignore my use of incorrect
terminology.  Let's say I have an island with objects, scripts etc.
That sim can "hold" roughly 60 AV's, what if I had 500 AV's that needed
to access that sim.  What is to prevent SL from using a mirror image of one server that holds my island/objects/scripts and scaling it (as
needed) depending on how many av's were trying to access that one
location.  So I might be on the sim and interacting with 59 other
AV's.  When someone else tries to access the sim, instead of a sim full
message they would be sent to a mirrored sim - objects/scripts would be
the same and you would be with a different set of 59 AV's, and so on.

Is this pie-in-the-sky?

Thanks,
Steven

Dr. Steven Hornik