[sldev] Spec for build tool improvements

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Fri Aug 8 17:02:09 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Robin sorta beat me to the punch, but I should still highlight this.

Here's a very rough spec for improving the current build toolchain:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Rob_Linden/Build_Tool_Improvement_Spec_-_2008

It hasn't gotten much vetting anywhere yet (including within Linden
Lab).  I'd like to come up with a list of improvements to the build
process that are sensible to batch up in one pass, and build them into a
development plan that we can either take on as a project within Linden
Lab, or farm out if it makes sense.  We really want to make the process
for new developers much better, and while getting good documentation in
place would also help, it seems like right now the best investment would
be in making a lot of the quirks that need documentation go away.

If editing or commenting on the wiki isn't your thing, then perhaps just
put something in JIRA:
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-8545

Eventually, everything on the wiki page should probably be subtasks on
JIRA, but it might be easier to keep it in one spec for now, and then
break it up as this matures a little bit and voting/commenting on
discrete tasks makes sense.

Discussion on this list is also quite welcome.

Thanks
Rob