[sldev] Scalable Sim Question

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 17:35:05 PDT 2008

Something vaguely similar to this has been demonstrated by the libopenmv
team. They used bots to echo the performance of musicians in another sim so
a wider audience could see the show. John Hurliman has a video of this on
his blog at
http://www.jhurliman.org/index.php/2006/long-range-in-second-life-or-cleverly-disguised-robots/
The SL Shakespeare Company has also conducted research along these lines.

OpenSim has an experimental feature where a region that becomes highly
loaded can be split into multiple smaller regions and each segment can then
be processed on a seperate CPU core, but I'm not certain how complete the
implementation is yet.