[sldev] Scalable Sim Question

Sheet Spotter sheet.spotter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 10:04:37 PDT 2008

I would be curious how extensively the existing SL server exploits the use
of multi-threading and multi-processor.

Is there any opportunity to distribute the functional blocks across multiple
threads or processors?

For example, could the physics be run on one processor, while the
communications (chat, IM, notices, etc.) runs on a separate processor, and
the scripts ran on yet another processor?

I realize there are dependencies and overlap. Chat distance relies on the
location of each avatar, which is calculated by the physics engine.
Similarly, scripts frequently rely on position information for performing
sensor scans, etc.

Are physics, communications, and scripts even the three most important
functional blocks? Hmmm.Texture downloads probably figure prominently in the
equation.

Sheet Spotter

  _____