[sldev] Scalable Sim Question

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 15:54:34 PDT 2008

On 2008-08-09, at 15:02, Lawson English wrote:
> Logging into the test metaverse and TPing between grids is now
> being accomplished by the client interacting with the "Agent
> Domain," a server which eventually will be analogous to an ISP for
> your avatar account(s) and it will handle login, group IM,
> persistent inventory, etc., while the local simulator will handle
> physics, local chat and geometry issues. The eventual division will
> be "Agent Domain" vs "Region Domain" where each is responsible for
> a certain subset of services that the SL client now receives
> exclusively through the simulator.

I'm not sure that putting the inventory exclusively in the agent
domain is a good idea.

(1) Inventory garbage collection for inventory "owned by" other grids
will be a knotty problem.
(2) License and copyright issues.

Having a third section of inventory (after your inventory and the
library) for region-local inventory that's only available in that
region would avoid a lot of copyright issues, and also allow for
inventory that's required for a game grid to stay in that grid.