[sldev] Scalable Sim Question

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 17:44:12 PDT 2008

On 2008-08-09, at 19:02, Lawson English wrote:
> Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>> On 2008-08-09, at 15:02, Lawson English wrote:
>>> Logging into the test metaverse and TPing between grids is now
>>> being accomplished by the client interacting with the "Agent
>>> Domain," a server which eventually will be analogous to an ISP
>>> for your avatar account(s) and it will handle login, group IM,
>>> persistent inventory, etc., while the local simulator will handle
>>> physics, local chat and geometry issues. The eventual division
>>> will be "Agent Domain" vs "Region Domain" where each is
>>> responsible for a certain subset of services that the SL client
>>> now receives exclusively through the simulator.
>>

>> I'm not sure that putting the inventory exclusively in the agent
>> domain is a good idea.

> Oh, absolutely, that's why I said "persistent" inventory to
> differentiate from sim-specific.

OK, I think there's either a terminology problem here or I'm not
making things clear.

I'm talking about persistent inventory that is NOT in the agent domain.

When you return to the same grid, you would have access to the
inventory you had in that grid when you left it.

> And OpenSIm developers are discussing having multiple inventory/
> asset servers available per avatar/Agent Domain anyway.

You mean the agent domain would have components in multiple trust
domains? o_O?