[sldev] Scalable Sim Question

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 07:38:06 PDT 2008

On 2008-08-09, at 23:31, Lawson English wrote:
>> I'm talking about persistent inventory that is NOT in the agent
>> domain.
>

> AGent domain invetnroy should potentially be available on ANY grid,
> permissions and agreements permitting. Connections to region (or
> grid) -specific inventory servers would be acquired during
> establishing presence with a specific region/grid.

I'm obviously not making this point clear.

What I'm talking about is there being grid-local assets associated
with your account. Assets that are not shared with any other grid.
This inventory is not shared with any servers that are not in the
same protection domain as the grid's region domain.

Let's say I log in to grid.piratebay.org. I then teleport to Second
Life, and arrive as a Ruth. I go to Yadni's Junkyard and get some
freebies. I edit an asset in my inventory. Is that asset now
transferred to an asset server at grid.piratebay.org, or does it
remain on an asset server in the SL grid?

There's several possibilities:

1. Yes, it's now on an asset server in the pirate bay. The copybot
ruckus will be nothing to this.

2. You can't do that, you can't take that into your inventory. that's
the current situation.

3. No, it stays in the SL asset server but the pirate bay agent
domain can get a copy of it, but promises not to give you access to
it if you're not on the SL grid. This seems to be what you're
suggesting, and from the point of view of content creators it's
indistinguishable from #1.

4. It stays in the SL asset server and your client connects directly
to that server to manipulate it, and that access is only allowed if
you're in the SL grid subject to the SL rules. That's what I'm
suggesting.

The distinction between 3 and 4 is that SL doesn't have to trust the
pirate bay grid to let you teleport into the SL grid from there. You
could have a client that does all kinds of bad things, but you don't
have the pirate bay grid effectively becoming that client for
everyone who happens to be logged into it.