[sldev] Scalable Sim Question

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 12:15:46 PDT 2008

I'm speculating a bit here but I think in sl™ the assets are stored in some
kind of centralized storage system (the "asset server"), and inventory is
kept in another separate storage system. Regions are able to access assets
from the central storage system. If the client needs access to the actual
asset (such as textures, sounds, etc.) it uses the region as a proxy, so
perhaps from the agent domain's perspective, I guess the asset server is
part if the region domain?

For Opensim, there may be multiple asset servers, or in standalone mode, the
region itself may use local databases for asset and inventory storage.
Typically in "grid mode" there is a centralized asset store for the grid and
another seperate one for inventory. There may also be other configurations
that deviate substantially from the either standalone or grid mode.

I haven't read the relevant AWG documentation closely enough to know how
interop mode deviates from this model so I can't comment.