[sldev] Scalable Sim Question

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sun Aug 10 12:44:17 PDT 2008

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> On 2008-08-09, at 23:31, Lawson English wrote:
>>> I'm talking about persistent inventory that is NOT in the agent domain.
>>

>> AGent domain invetnroy should potentially be available on ANY grid,
>> permissions and agreements permitting. Connections to region (or
>> grid) -specific inventory servers would be acquired during
>> establishing presence with a specific region/grid.
>
> I'm obviously not making this point clear.
>
> What I'm talking about is there being grid-local assets associated
> with your account. Assets that are not shared with any other grid.
> This inventory is not shared with any servers that are not in the same
> protection domain as the grid's region domain.
>
> Let's say I log in to grid.piratebay.org. I then teleport to Second
> Life, and arrive as a Ruth. I go to Yadni's Junkyard and get some
> freebies. I edit an asset in my inventory. Is that asset now
> transferred to an asset server at grid.piratebay.org, or does it
> remain on an asset server in the SL grid?

Agent Domains have to be trusted as well. If you use their Agent Domain,
your client isn't trusted any more than grid.piratebay.org is. So the LL
asset server will treat your avatar as untrusted even though you're a
registered user.

The moral of the story is: don't switch Agent Domains unless you trust them.