[sldev] Scalable Sim Question

Spot spot at napalmriot.com
Thu Aug 14 04:00:41 PDT 2008

Perhaps I am unclear on the goal. I thought the entire point was to
create grid interoperability where someone could bounce from grid to
grid to grid if they so wished (ala first few chapters of Snowcrash with
the 'countries' of Los Angeles).

In order to make something like that remotely viable, access should not
be dependent on having a separate account with each grid (IMO). That is
a barrier to entry which your average person will not cross. You will
get grid segregation on a grand scale, and most of it would be on the
top two or three grids. As far as inventory control is concerned, that
is a more complicated matter, but it seems could also be managed with
higher level agreements between grids.

Much of this stuff really falls under control of the population's
expectations. If people are made _aware_ that assets from this grid
can/and do exist in these other grids, then they will not have their
expectations broken. You have your real issues with the population when
the infrastructure allows for the unexpected.

Spot