[sldev] Git-based viewer source archive

Jacek Antonelli jacek.antonelli at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 11:16:41 PDT 2008

I've set up a Git repository containing the source for every release
or release candidate of the viewer since January 2007. It could prove
useful for anyone interested in using Git to manage a viewer fork or
working copy for patch development. If you're not interested in using
Git, you can safely ignore this message.

The repository is available online for anyone to clone:

  http://github.com/jacek/sl-viewer-source-archive/

Git's distributed nature and powerful merging ability mean that you
cound clone the archive repository to start your own personal fork,
then pull changes to easily keep your working copy up to date without
overwriting your changes. If you have an existing Git repository, I
believe you could add the archive as a remote repository, then
cherry-pick commits from it to get the same effect (albeit somewhat
less conveniently).

It also serves as a quick way to see what changed from release to
release. (I'm sure you can do this with LL's Trac, but it takes more
effort there to identify the revisions to compare, etc.)

I'll be keeping it up to date with each new release / RC as LL makes
the source available. I'd be doing that anyway for my own work, but
hopefully by making it a publicly-available resource I can save other
people the duplicate effort.

 - Jacek