[sldev] GPL issues....

Marine Kelley marinekelley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 02:10:24 PDT 2008

I develop and release on Windows, VS2005 and I'm getting it the hard way,
thankyouverymuch :p

I don't have any patch management system, do not know what git is (yes I
know there is a thread about it in the list, didn't take the time to read it
yet), nor quilt, pristine tar, nor can manage a debian package to save my
life. Yes I work in the IT industry.

So here is what I suggest : let all the regular and well-organized Linux
developers maintain and release their own "tarballs", and all the other OS
devs like me can get stuffed. After all, who needs VS2005 anymore.
Maintaining open-source packages like this viewer is for serious people, not
for us peons.

And about Henri, I do understand his way of working. He wants people to be
able to pick the patches they want, especially since most patches on his
site are not his own. If he made a monolithic bundle he would be accused of
absorbing other people's work, or to at least not be flexible enough. So his
way of releasing may not be GPL-compliant (mine isn't either), but it's much
more practical.