[sldev] realXtend Global inventory tests successful

Sean Linden sean at lindenlab.com
Fri Aug 22 16:28:14 PDT 2008

While I don't agree with the "it can all be copied anyway so just get over
it" philosophy, I do think that there *are* limits to what is feasible to
protect with technology. Attempts to, say, encrypt everything sent to the
viewer with some black box that needs to be put into even open source builds
are completely worthless because it imposes a high cost on development and
use in favor of something that only needs to be broken once. Obfuscation of,
say, the cache, only needs to be broken once too, but at least it costs less
to have it. And in both cases the hurdle for everyone but the one person who
has to break it is the same: you have to find and download some extra piece
of software that extracts stuff for you. But at least then you know you're
being naughty.

Even the cleverest DRM schemes to date that have hit the open market have
turned into no higher a hurdle than obfuscation within weeks of their
release.