Exporting stuff, permissions, and licenses (was Re: [sldev] realXtend Global inventory tests successful)

Sean Linden sean at lindenlab.com
Sun Aug 24 10:53:21 PDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Lawson English <lenglish5 at cox.net> wrote:

> Gareth Nelson wrote:
>
>> Surely the permissions flags constitute a form of license?
>>
>> Aside from this, what's wrong with a new "transfer to other grids" flag?
>>

> Many of us want to see that. Problem is that neither Zero or any other
> technical Linden can speak for LInden Lab about what they're going to do
> until the lawyers are consulted, etc.
>
> BUT, before LL comes to a decision about how LL will handle its own
> database of user-created assets, we can still experiment with a dedicated
> server or two, to see what makes sense, both tethnically and from a user's
> point off view.

Personally, I think any flag that's not attached to some technological
protection mechanism will only result in confusion. For this particular
case, the flag could be "exportable" and it could be used to allow the owner
to get a cap to be able to download the asset itself directly, perhaps
translated to some XML export format by a web service. This is just
speculation of course; I'm not working on anything in this particular area
(I'm currently testing the new garbage collector -- don't worry we won't
delete anything until we KNOW it's not referenced).

For everything not directly attached to some technological protection
mechanism, it seems like just a URL specifying the license, along with
concerted efforts to minimize the number of licenses people use, would a
flexible and universal mechanism to tell people what they're allowed to do
with stuff. Perhaps there could be a blanket "minimum" license to allow
distributing stuff in each grid, though I don't know whether such a thing is
necessary. "Minimum" would mean that if something has the copy flag it
doesn't matter if the license says they can't have more than one copy; the
copy flag trumps.