Exporting stuff, permissions, and licenses (was Re: [sldev] realXtend Global inventory tests successful)

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 21:15:12 PDT 2008

Gareth Nelson wrote:
> can export it, and a simple flag would make this task much easier.
> (The flexiprim hair is of course but one thing i'd dearly love to
> export).

A flag that the creator sets does not take into account what rights the
user has.  There are fair use rights, compulsory licensing rights, or
the original source material might be in the public domain.  The user
might even live in a place where there are no copyright laws.  A flag
that the creator/uploader sets can never express the rights of the user
accurately.  Only the user can decide what they have the right to do,
and how much legal risk they want to take, just like in every other
medium in existence.

Sean is saying that if you create such a flag, but then don't put a
technological measure behind it, people won't get it.  I think so too.
It's silly to pretend that this issue can be simplified down to a flag,
That people want a flag created that has no technological weight behind
it proves that the flag is inadequate.

Just as the current permissions communicate the wrong thing about what
is possible, a new "export" flag would continue down the path of
miscommunication with users, pretending that copyright law can be boiled
down to a few check boxes.

-Jason